Georges St-Pierre, one of combat sports’ all-time best, is set to return to grappling in the UFC Fight Pass Invitational. Find out more about his highly anticipated comeback and potential matchups.
Georges St-Pierre, one of combat sports’ all-time best, is making a highly anticipated comeback to the grappling world. In December 2023, St-Pierre will participate in a UFC Fight Pass Invitational event, marking his return to action before 2024.
The opponent for St-Pierre has yet to be announced, but there are rumors circulating about potential matchups. St-Pierre himself mentioned that fans and the UFC have expressed a strong desire for him to grapple against Nick Diaz. This dream match-up has been a topic of discussion within the MMA community since both fighters retired.
However, any hopes of a St-Pierre vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov bout have been quashed. St-Pierre clarified that Nurmagomedov’s retirement is legitimate, and the rumors surrounding their potential clash were fueled solely by fan excitement.
St-Pierre’s decision to participate in the UFC Fight Pass Invitational was influenced by the fact that he is no longer competing to be the best in mixed martial arts. Grappling is a specialized sport that requires a different skill set. St-Pierre acknowledged that being a great MMA fighter doesn’t automatically make one a good grappler and vice versa.
Although St-Pierre has competed in the ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) in the past, this event presents a new challenge for him. He will need time to adapt to the unique form of competition and combat sports that grappling offers.
A potential rematch between St-Pierre and Diaz would be a thrilling encounter for combat sports fans. Their previous clash at UFC 158 in March 2013 ended with St-Pierre emerging victorious via a lopsided unanimous decision. Diaz, who recently made a comeback in September 2021, expressed his interest in fighting again.
Currently, Diaz is still under contract with the UFC and has one more fight remaining on his contract. The UFC is keen on having him participate in the grappling event to make it a grand affair. The event is set to be hosted in a larger venue than usual and will feature other big names in the grappling world, such as Gordon Ryan, Giancarlo Bodoni, and more.
For jiu-jitsu fans, this is an exciting time as they get to witness the return of Georges St-Pierre to the grappling scene. His participation in the UFC Fight Pass Invitational promises to deliver an unforgettable display of skill and technique.
|Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz
- Georges St-Pierre will return to grappling in a UFC Fight Pass Invitational event in December 2023.
- Potential opponent options for St-Pierre include Nick Diaz.
- Rumors of a St-Pierre vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov bout have been debunked.
- Grappling is a specialized sport that requires a different skill set than mixed martial arts.
- St-Pierre acknowledges the need for time to adapt to the unique challenges of grappling.
- A rematch between St-Pierre and Diaz would be a highly anticipated event.
- Diaz is still under contract with the UFC and has expressed interest in participating.
- The grappling event will feature other notable names in the sport.